Friday, March 26, 2010

Money is like manure; it's not worth a thing unless it's spread out encouraging young things to grow.


Tonight i had been invited by a friend to accompany him to an Associates Banquet for Oklahoma Christian for people who donate money throughout the year. It was held at the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum. The people were dressed fancy (myself included), the dinner was superb, and the speaker phenomenal.
Col. Douglas Wheelock the Commander of the International Space Station was the key note speaker. I sat there and listened in wonderment as he described working at the space station and having the opportunity to orbit the earth every 90 minutes, to see the sun set 16 times a day, and to be so utterly petrified as he stared into the deepness of space and realize that the earth in all her glory is just being held there in the cosmic abyss.

He spoke about the importance of influencing others. He discussed his love for his legend, Yankees player, Bobby Mercer and how he looked up to that man and was encouraged by his life and solid character. From here Col. Wheelock went on to discuss our unique and sacred God given priveledge to not only shape young peoples minds but their hopes and dreams as well.

This made me think of something one of my precious students asked me in class earlier this week- "Ms. Amanda, did your mommy show you how to be a teacher?" to which i responded "No she didn't teach me how to be a Teacher, but she did teach me how to be a good person, she showed me how to be kind to others and do what is right." I have since been thinking about this simple question and i'd like to resubmit my answer; yes my mother has shown me how to be everything that i am. She's the reason i am hardworking. As a matter of fact most any of my good qualities can be attributed to her and the way i witnessed her living her life. See it's important to remember that shaping a child's character is not entirely based on what you tell them and teach them, where they really learn is through the actions they see. My mother disciplened me because she loved me and she always explained the reason why, she showed me the importance of loving others by going well out of her way to love them. I work hard because she works hard. Now that i'm grown up and i call my mother because i'm having a though time i know that i can get through it because she has been there herself and has triumphed.

Tonight has made me remember what a vital role we all play in the lives of those we encounter on a daily basis, be it young or old. My prayer is that you and I will be open to fill that role should God choose to bless us with such an opportunity.

~Amanda

4 comments:

  1. It's great to see you post on here. And yes, that's a great thought. You're a wonderful example of being kind and compassionate and helpful. I know you've taught me so much in the past 4 years of our friendship. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you. What your child hears and sees you do is so important. You might not realize it until they are older, but as the mother of a 19 and 22 yr old, I am starting to see how a good example has gone a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! And I have been grumbling about the kid I tutor... I try really hard to influence him and to witness as much as I can legally get away with. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredibly inspiring post! Sounds like your special evening out was phenominal.
    Your mom sound a lot like mine, very encouraging and also a wonderful example of the kind of woman I wanted to be(and hopefully, have now become!).

    ReplyDelete